1. Clean the peppers by cutting a small triangle in peppers, wide near the stem, and clean out the seeds and white ribs.
2. Heat a post or deep fryer to the smoking point... when you drop in the pepper it should bubble and pop. Put in a 2 at a time and fry for just a few seconds until they are slightly blistered. Don't leave them in for long, so they don't get soggy or soft. Drain on paper towels.
3. Heat the broiler and clean the shrimp, removing their shells and tails. Saute in butter and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook until they just turn pink. Don't over cook. Squeeze lime over shrimp and let cool. Roughly chop them into chunks when they are cool.
4. Mix the chopped shrimp and the cheese in a bowl and then stuff the mixture into the peppers. Fill them full!
5. Arrange the stuffed shrimp on baking pan. Broil until they start to brown and bubble on the top.
6. Serve on a platter garnished with lime wedges and sprinkled with chopped cilantro. Provide soy sauce to drizzle on peppers and mayonnaise to dollop on top!
*** This recipe was inspired by the Gueritos served at El Mexicali Cafe in Indio. ***